Thursday 16 January 2014

PLACE PROJECT Research and Idea Generation

So part of our development and idea generation we had to merge what we had done in the 1st week to final make a map of Aberdeen which showed a sense of Place. We got told its not a map but has to have map characteristics and its got to equal the size of an A1 piece of paper. This was gonna be a tough one, mostly because, I have no idea where to start an A0 piece of paper staring back at me for a week.. yeah that really happened I cant really do big pieces of paper even if it is better for crits and assessment, just too big for my brain to handle. So I started by going around and scanning the fricken heaven of a scanner/printer... saves my life all the time. I figured out I preferred the places to which people don't pay to much attention to and sort of ignore these was where my interest grew looking down alleys and see where people didn't go instead of where they do go in places. One of my favourite tasks (and I know this will sound creepy) was the mapping of people in an area creating line drawings which build up to show movement of a certain area. Also the sound recording was just hilarious (bus sounds coming from your bag causes an awful lot of looks)




























Finding places or in my case what i called Non-Places where what they where because of certain elements sound, texture, people, colour so I took several things from our first week and decided to try and get this sense of place I would layer them on top of each other. It was just how and how the hell would I get it onto an A1 scale, que the mind blank!








The communication design people got a tip to try out the Adobe Kuler website to create colour palettes from images if they couldn't do this on site in the first week. This with my favourite Google Picassa and its collage feature I created the above grids of colour.
Seeing these where in the shape of the grids on a map, it gave me the idea that this could be my background to my layered map.
To be continued........
Annie :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Archives

About Me

My photo
Life is art. Art is Life. Thats all you need to know! A mad woman with an imagination?