Thursday 16 January 2014

Final Body Project

The Body Project probably my favourite this semester, as I'm more interested in the Body than the other two. We got told "You'll love this brief" only for us painter to expect to be painting... how wrong we were we got asked to develop two A1 drawings, whilst everyone else got something more related.. We kept trying to persuade the lecturers to let us use paint in these drawing but all we got is we're not aloud to use paint but we're aloud to use wet media and we can use techniques we learned from our previous unit so many of us were hoping we could use the reductive technique with oil, that was the boundary! So my plan immediately with this brief went out the window!
This was my finished selfie, in the lines that make up the brain is my lists of my thoughts, so I kind of took that from my selfie and my outline of my brain,as we had to focus on bodily system and I went on with the things that change a system ... My asthma (lungs) and my depression (brain).

As I only had a little on the asthmatic system in my sketch book i had to go do some more research, but also make some visuals using my own experience, I wanted to visualize the tightness and feeling that your lungs aren't big enough so I started playing around wit string and came up with these. 


I though this worked really well so went with it just a few adjustments to get to the final one which is at the bottom. I done this which is my medication formula on top of each other I liked the layers the flesh coloured is the inhalers for my asthma and the black is the anti depressants think I could go on with something like this but i had my heart set on something else and I wanted two separate pieces for both instead of a merged one. But I could come back to this in the future. [[[Medication to help us or ruin us sort of thing]]]
The images below are me just playing around thinking about inside and outside the brain the darker area is a scan of a make-up wipe which i wiped of the sayings off my face with in my previous post, thinking about how one puts themselves out there but how they are really feeling inside. Think these work really well! But I wasn't sure how I would produce this on a A1 scale especially the scan of a make up wipe!
Back to my other final I took my selfie and decided to scan it or break it up to see it in smaller parts to see what i could take away from it.
I started writing lists of sayings to do with the head and the brain. which made me think of Emma Hauck a mental patient who wrote letters to her husband which never got sent but were layers of repeated word over the top of each other, got me thinking that I could write my lists of how I think over the top of each other, these are a few of my tries.
I really liked the ink layers as it built up a tonal mesh of the words and as a human we want to read it as we understand there is words but literally cant as they have gathered into a darkened mess all bundled up. So the viewer couldn't understand what was being thought.

Final Images

Heres my final image I wanted the image to show an explosion of darkened thoughts from a small brain and also showed and inbalence of the composition. I thought the outline which i took from my selfie work very well in this respect as it gave the image some context. The shape of the image came from the psychology of shape where a horizontal line is sensed as quite and shy, so in this respect worked out well. I felt it showed the feeling of trying to pit out your thoughts and feeling but them not exactly coming out and i think it shows a reserved feeling of shouting out i have a problem.

Here is my final image for Asthma! The feeling of not being able to breathe as your lungs cant cope and that tightness in your chest and the breathing is hard was the thing I was going for. Trying to make the lungs look broken and nonfunctional, and look like air couldn't flow through the bronchioles into the air sacs (thank you higher human biology that i remembered the names!) Also there was some deliberation to whether they should be the full size or the shape of the lungs should be included but it became to obvious to the viewer I felt and I decided a smaller image of the lungs would suit better on the larger piece of paper delivering a ironic composition that there was a lot of air and movement around the lungs but they were still not working!

Thanks for reading hope you liked
Feel free to comment or suggest :)
Annie x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Archives

About Me

My photo
Life is art. Art is Life. Thats all you need to know! A mad woman with an imagination?