Saturday 11 May 2013

Papermaking. Finished?!

So one of the units of this term was Papermaking and when i first saw what it was all about the first thing that came into my mind was pulp painting on canvas basically using the pulped paper as the medium instead of as a support as we we're to look at paper as something more as a mere support, so all the way through I've been experimenting with mostly everything i could get my hands on because I've never made my own paper before - should try it, its so fun! Here are some developed pieces i done to get me to my final works.

Pulp on unprimed, unstretched canvas a5

Same a4

same a3

same a2

on primed and stretched canvas second layer feel this turned out to mucky in the colours because i put too much pulp mixture onto the canvas an it settled and the water mixed in made the colour bleed all over the place

wire over the canvas  about a2 size stage 1 stage 2 below

 further development still wet with spray paint

further development with blue background instead of plain - wet

further development wire around 20x20 canvas- wet

further devlopment - wet dry one below

a3 stage 2

about a2 size stage 1

a3 stage 3

further development, dry you can see how the image changes from wet to dry - takes around 24 hours plus for the whole thing to dry

about a2 stage 2

further development - dry

a3 with wire stage 1

a3 with wire stage 2
So here is my final pieces which are a sorta fine art piece and really developed from that initial eureka moment when reading the brief.
Siz 20x20 canvas' pulp painted two with wire wrapped around the canvas with also added spray paint  on  two of the canvas'.

Saturation on this photo has been put up, which gets me onto my editing experiments. Coming next...
I wanted to place the canvas' two ways to see how they would look together and apart to see if it was too cramped into one area but i quite like them together like above, but realistically they can be placed any which way up to the person really. So onto the editing of the photos of the pulp painting after saturating the image above i decided to play around abit on my editing software and came up with these interesting images which look kind of like rust and mould gone BAD!
infrared film (fade) neon (white) saturation (increased)

infrared film (fade) invert colours

infrared film (fade)

invert colours, infrared film (fade)

invert colours, infrared film (fade)

Infrared colour

Infrared Film (fade), Invert colour

Neon (White)

Invert Colours, Pixelate, Infrared film (fade)

Pixelate, Infrared film (fade)
Actually really love how the invert colour and infrared film edited images have came out love the effect of the pulp and the edit make them really surreal. Also the pixelate images really remind me of Gerhard Richters clock colour ones and that sort of style but these colours are picked from an image, makes quite a nice graphic image! 

All in all i really enjoyed the experimentation and and the new-ness of it all to me, think my final has worked out well and i've definitly learned on the way with this, tried not to be scared to hold back on experimentation so my sketchbook is filled... :) Hopefully i will be able to continue with this outside college
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Annie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Archives

About Me

My photo
Life is art. Art is Life. Thats all you need to know! A mad woman with an imagination?