Wednesday 12 March 2014

Pictorial B&Q

So here it was the first of many projects where we actually paint in a Painting course.
Our brief was quite simple in the fact of the first week we had to go to the B&Q down the road - at the Bridge of Dee - and use this subject matter to visualise pictorial space, thats all we had to do create pictorial space. It was harder than expected but only because of the size of the B&Q to much to choose from, my mind was all over the place before we started this one, but I realised that if I take B&Q a section at a time then I can get there.

Through my explorations I found that I liked the spaces which confused the audience where you had more than one area of space exposed in the image. This lead me to a wardrobe. A lovely wardrobe - which I really, really would love in the flat cause ours is rubbish - and the area around  it where it was the boxes for wardrobes, as they created a very flat constricted depth, a airy and large depth and a dark constricted enclosed depth all in one image. I went on a venture where I took a mirror and went round parts of B&Q with this mirror to reflect the large space in juxtaposition with the enclosed space with the mirror sitting in it. I though this would reflect the vast open area of the store but also show the space which is condensed with so much products sort of shaping the B&Q. Playing around with composition i thought i would definitely go towards this one piece but after developing so much my brain hurt I went onto another just to see and this turned out to be the one I went for in my final. the ones below are just the experiments





In the style of Nina Murdoch



In the style of Suzanne Song. 









I had a lot of ideas where the brief wouldn't allow me to go, but i liked the idea of simplifying the area to make it more abstracted and less photo realistic -which i think quite a few people in my class went for. 

I went  for the cupboard instead of the boxes as I liked the composition and the effect of it as it was unusual subject. I liked that you got 3 degrees of depth in one image, where your stopped straight at the paper  it goes back into dark and you have this reflected space of the vast space of B&Q, thought this showed a lot of pictorial space and compositionally it went well on the page. 

Getting there with my final image, I decided to go for a close up on a wardrobe so you got an abstracted version of the space. I didn't have that much freedom with it but I did try to go to the boundaries in all aspects, I was told to put people in there and make it the whole thing make  it  more detailed.... Nope I'm not doing that!

FINAL IMAGE :)

So after 4 fairly short weeks I had arrived at the end result with time to spare :). I'm really pleased with the outcome as its something I wouldnt of considered before - as I didn't find it interesting maybe its because I was painting finally so I could do what I've wanting to be doing since we started in September. I think I made  it my own and tried to Annie-ify the image as much as I could within the briefs boundaries. Yeah there were times of confusion but god when is there not! It was nice to spend this much time on one image as before I would be rushing to get it done, i enjoyed the relaxed approach even though we only had 4 weeks to produce this, i felt like the progression made sense, it was lovely to have all my focus on one image and stand back take breaks feeling like an actual art practitioner procrastinating as much in between so I went to it with fresh eyes, which i think is very important.
On to the next one I say!
What do you think? Does it portray pictorial space? What is pictorial space? Do you love B&Q as much as me now?
(Btw I do already have a love of the place so now I love it even more so you won't cause B&Q is now my baaaaby)

Thanks for reading and viewing my massive essay things
Annie :) x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Archives

About Me

My photo
Life is art. Art is Life. Thats all you need to know! A mad woman with an imagination?